Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Valley of the Antelope

We were gone this weekend. Joe's cousin got married in the high desert town that he and Joe grew up in. The last time I reported on Lancaster was full of huge grey skies and an equally grey sprawl of 99-cent stores and abandoned shopping plazas. But that was winter; now it's the autumn of another year, and Lancaster is bathed in bright sunlight holdign over from summer. The sun made a lot of difference.

There's still not much to do there. Joe and I skipped out on church, instead visiting a handful of thrift stores. Lancaster, I decided, has the best thrift stores I've seen in California. If you're lucky, you can make out very well. Last visit yielded no goods, but this time I scored a stretch denim blazer and skirt, a short-sleeved western shirt, a sequined top made by Avon in the early 80s, a book about country music published in the 70s, and a top sheet and pillowcase with a pattern similar to the sheets I had on my bed when I was growing up. All of that stuff is clean now, and the sheet is on our bed.

The wedding was sweet. Very Lancaster. It was nice to attend a wedding and not have to be in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home