Monday, September 26, 2005

Membership Dues

KQED, the NPR affiliate station I listen to seemingly 24 hours a day, is still having its marathon pledge drive. They're going on two weeks and five days or something. I've gotten used to it, the improptu theater aspect of the commentators' pleads and absurdly flat jokes. It's an art in itself, getting folks to cough up money. I wan't gonna pledge this time because I'm on the dole, but in the end I gave in and pledged $40.

I initially had sworn off giving any more money to KQED radio, because I'm always getting packets in the mail about raffles and sweepstakes. Is that what my money is funding--mass mailings? Bummer. I'm donating money to fill up more space in landfills--just what I wanted! But hell, if you wanna make an omlette, you gotta break some eggs. So I guess that's KQED's way of breaking eggs, sending out junk mail. I like the station too much to have to put up with guilt when I listen to it, and those pledge hosts are masters at evoking guilt. They must have Jewish and Catholic mothers training them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home