Thursday, September 29, 2005

Moon Cake for Breakfast

I am lazy and bad. Woke up at 8:30, got up at 10. I'm not depressed or anything--I feel pretty good about life right now, in fact. Perhaps I need more discipline.

The red wine last night probably had to do with the sleeping in as well. My writing group came over for dinner, and when they left I continued to chip away at the wine remaining in the open bottle. It was a good night, though. Here's the menu:
-Olives, cherry tomatoes, Maytag blue cheese, and toasted baguette slivers for nibbling (I realized the abrasive baguette toasts and acidic tomatoes and salty cheese and olives makes ofr a mouth-destroying combination).
-Composed salad of baby lettuces, Belgian endive, beets, Maytag blue cheese, and pumkin seed brittle with vanilla vinaigrette.
-Gremolata roasted chicken with carrots, ruby chard, and potato-celeriac puree.
-Peach pie with homemade vanilla ice cream.

That beet/endive/blue cheese salad is a workhorse. I come back to it again and again when entertaining--you can use toasted pecans instead of the pumpkin brittle and cherve instead of blue cheese.

We have leftover chicken and beets. I think I'm going to make stock from the chicken carcass today, and perhaps use it for soup. The lemon zest from the gemolata makes for tangy stock, so maybe I'll use it to make tortilla soup.

Poor Joe. He excused himself from dinner because he didn't want to intrude. I'll make him a good dinner for his birthday next week.

So I woke up thirsty. Not hungover, really, but still. My Random Writer gusts brought over some moon cakes--three moon cakes!--and I could not resist eating a sliver of one with my otherwise reasonably healthful breakfast (toast w/ peanut butter ans strawberry jam, peaches in plain yogurt). I think the moon cake has a lotus filling. It will take a lot of work for me and Joe to eat three moon cakes, since they are so rich, but we're up to the task.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Mooncakes over miami

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home