Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Just Like a 50s Mom

I made a dress yesterday. I felt like sewing, not writing--so I sewed. The ability to make my own clothing is very appealing to me; I like its combination of empowerment and thriftyiness. I'm still learning, though, and for the time being it's best if I stick to those patterns that say stuff like "EASY! 1-Hour Sew-Fast!" Usually such patterns don't require sewing buttonholes or zippers or complicated plackets and internal pockets. I still have trouble with darts--darts and fitting. I could never be a tailor. My most common problem is that I put all kinds of effort into making something and then it turns out fitting badly--too baggy or floppy. This is what I get for buying vintage patterns at the junk store without looking to see what size they are first...The dress I made yesterday is actually an apron--either that or a dress patterned after an apron. It had an open back, like a sundress, and a sash that ties in the front. The butt part is all covered up because one sash goes through a little hole in the left front like Diane Chambers' barmaid's apron on "Cheers." I tried the dress on and noticed how if I leaned over a certain way, boob vivibility was something like 80%. I didn't like the feeling of my little boobs flopping around, but it was hot and still I wore the dress. When Joe got home he said "What is that thing--an apron? Why are you wearing an apron?" It is cute, though--I made it with a very '50s vintage cotton fabric in a grey, pink, and white floral print that could masquerade as old kitchen wallpaper. The pockets and the halter strap are decorated with pink rick-rack...I couldn't not wear the dress today. It's going to be hot in here (it's always 10 degrees hotter in here than outside for some reason), and I love wearing sundresses when it's hot; it's a woman's entitlement in the summertime. So today I'm wearing the apron/sundress over a pink cotton shell top. That way I can wear a bra and not have my boobs flop around. The pink top only accentuates the apron look, but I guess I do spend a lot of time wearing aprons--just like a mom in the 1950s, which I can't complain about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home