Sunday, July 03, 2005

Home Alone

I got super bored last night. Joe's gone with his band on a mini-tour to San Diego. That leaves me alone for a few days over this holiday weekend, though for me at this moment every weekend is a holiday weekend. In a way it makes holidays less special, althoughI can't claim to not enjoy this windfall of personal time. There's only one glitch: money. I'll be okay for a while, but I don't like t spend money if I'm not making money. And I think it's silly to get a job before the wedding, because I want to use this time to focus on writing. Yesterday was going to be my writing day, but instead it became cleaning day. Cleaning the apartment taps a lot of juice from a gal--I clean very thoroughly. So I didn't write. This morning I made potato salad and burnt-sugar gelato, recipe I'm playing around with for articles about potato salad and ice cream. So it's not writng, but it is necessary. Food articles are fun, but they take a little more investment of personal time, plus the cost of recipe-testing ingredients. So even though I can make $150 on a 1400-word article about ice cream, it's really more like $115 after everything is said and done. Ah, the life of an artist. The burnt-sugar gelato was an experiment, and a semi-failed one; the gelato is silky-smooth, but it tastes like...burnt sugar. Oh, well--back to the drawing board. I guess whole milk and white sugar don't really cost so much after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home