Friday, July 01, 2005

Kickin' It Delia's Catalog Style

It's 7pm and I need to get a move on if I wanna run, which I do. Today was yet another day committed to WEDDING. Joe and I went to the county clerk's office to get our marriage license. In California, they replaced the blood tests with this lame-o booklet called "Your Future Together" which talks about genetic diseases and domestic violence and getting enough folic acid--you know, all of the things that a couple needs to know about to stay together. The booklet is illustrated with these incredibly retarted drawings--like clip art that a 10-year-old traced. Message to single folks: get married, because it's totally worth it for the booklet. ...Then we got our wedding rings from this 78-year-old jewlernamed V.G. White. The "V" stands for Verl. It was slow in the store and Verl was all about talking. He's a neat old guy who's happy to share his stories. Joe was conflicted about this, because he had to pee badly and didn't want to be rude and leave in the middle of V.G. White's story.... Then we went to the Dick Blick art store and bought more wedding stationery supplies: a guest book, some fancy pens, and a decent glue stick (I fully endorse Uhu Color Clue Stick--Avery Color Glue Stick is crap! Go for the best!) Joe was supposed to help me with the invitations today, but instead he went to San Francisco to "check out the Mission." Gee, that must be nice. So I put on some nice old-fashioned punk rock (the Queers, the Raincoats, the timeless punk vixen Loretta Lynn) and set up a wedding invitation sweatshop. Most of the elements were in place; I just had to address and assemble everything, plus use the paper cutter for some trimming. It's fun work, brainlessly creative . I now have tremendous respect for anyone who's ever had a wedding...I pulled a serious fashion crime yesterday. I had on this cute horizontally-striped dress that I'd made. It's on the short side and has longish sleeves and a floppy turtleneck collar, very early 70s. I was going to walk to the store when I caught a sunbeam illuminating my figure in the mirror, and I realized that, in the sunlight, the dress is somewhat sheer on the bottom.....There's a photo of Princess Diana back when she was still just Engaged Diana. The sun is shining through her lightweight skirt and you can see the outline of her thighs and crotch. The picture became a sensation/scandal and really embarrassed her. It was probably the first incident in a chain of episodes that she regretted--i.e. her entire marriage. So, as a tribute to Princess Diana, I decided not to make the same mistake myself. I'm still getting married, because I love Joe even if he is flaky about helping with the invitations. But I wasn't going outside in that dress. So, in a fit of laziness, I pulled on this pair of grey low-waisted pedal pushers: the dreaded dress-with-pants combo! I looked like an older version of a Delia's catalog model. Not too bad, I guess. But I hope this will not be the start of a bad fashion habit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home