Thursday, June 30, 2005

Walt Whitman and NAMBLA

Here's a good reason to think before you look: you might get fired. Not that it matters--if they dig into my old work computer's memory, what are they going to do--refuse to give me a recommendation? That's pretty much it; it would take too much investment to sue me, especially when others have done worse. Mostly what I did was waste time on the internet. Just today I was reading a Walt Whitman poem when I remembered that I'd looked up the NAMBLA website at work...NAMBLA stands for the National Man-Boy Love Association. It's something I'd heard about from people whose sense of humor knows no boundaries of taste or sensitivity--people like me. I wondered if such an organization could be true or legal. One day at work the thought crossed my mind, and so I googled NAMBLA and spent a good half an hour exploring their site...NAMBLA supports erotic, loving consensual unions between underage boys and grown men. They use Walt Whitman and his teenage companion as an example. This young fellow lived with an aging W.W. for quite some time. They were constant companions, and then several years later had a falling out. I guess if Walt Whitman does it, anyone can! Anyhow, I think some things are not allowed or accepted by society because...well, they just should not be allowed. There should not be a National Man-Girl Love Association, either, but there's no need for it because that sort of thing, while still under the radar, is much less repulsive to our culture...But whoever is sitting at my former desk can easily access the NAMBLA site. Perhaps they might learn something. I did!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Conway said...

A friend of mine visited several years ago and spent some time in my office while I was at a meeting. When I came back he showed me some "shocking" things that he thought were fun, one of which included...OK, I'm not going there. My point is simply that Lord Knows what is on that disk drive at work. My ass could so easily have been grass.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home