Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Don't Know How to Recycle

What's up with this white space? I thought it kept appearing because I am a dunderhead (there's that functionless ENERT key problem, too), but I checked the updates page--which is actually a Blogger blog--on Jonathan Ames' website, and he has a massive white space too! I was thrilled and soothed; Jonathan Ames and I have the same computer problems! He's probably a computer dunderhead, too, but he's also had a number of books published, and so I find it inspiring that we are equally illeterate when it comes to Blogger. Perhaps he's using a Dell Inspiron 1000 just like me, who knows?...My fanny hurts from the bike ride still. Fanny is a perfect word for it, too: in America, a fanny is a butt, but in countries of British persuasion it means poonanny. My butt and a small region of my poon are sore from the bike ride, so let's collectively an intercontinentally call this anatomy my fanny...My allergies are acting up again. It's because of the mold in the windows; they were never this bad before, but now that I spend most of my day here in the apartment I have swollen, itchy eyes and a nose like a gooey waterfall. I could ask our landlord, Mary, if she could replace the windows--they're pretty much shot. I've tried to clean them, but it's a thankless task. I'm afraid to ask her about he windows, though, because what if she replaces them and then raises the rent? She's a really nice lady in her late 60s who lives in this same building; she and her husband Ernie lived here, but Ernie died last summer, and I think since then Mary's been depressed. She's still pretty active, but I realize things will never be the same around these apartments...A while ago we got new trash cans. The city switched over to a solid waste recyling program, which means you can dump yard clippings and any food waste (including, like, raw chicken bones) straight into these big green bins. The city picks this up weekly and sells it to a composting company. I was quite excited over the prospect--less landfill waste! So I started dumping our food waste in the green bin, but there were always plastic bags full of wadded-up Kleenex in there. For a while I moved them out, but other non-compostable trash would show up in the green bin in place of the plastic bags: silk flowers, styrofoam packing material. I'm no astrophysicist, but I do know that plastic will not decompose in a compost pile. Neither will styrofoam. It made me mad--I knew it was Mary doing it, because at one point she had voiced her intention to put her food waste in plastic bags before placing it in the green bin. I didn't tell her that plastic bags defeated the whole point. Why not? I guess there's a part of me that does not want to tell my 60-something landlard that she's wrong and stupid. She's very nice--nice in a boring way--but she never came across as dumb. Perhaps there's a generational thing, some block programmed into her head and now she can't conceive the reality that you can compost organic waste but not petrolium-based products. But I think other people in their 60s and 70s could...I decided not to let Mary's possible ignorance keep me from composting, so I started moving the plastic basgs out of the bins and dumping our carrot peels and corncobs right in the green bins. After about a week, there was a note on the green bin: "All trash going into this bin MUST be in a plastic bag." Jesus. That's Mary for sure. I don't like thinking she's dumb, and I'm too much of a coward to tell her she's wrong. So I'll just not compost and sit here in allergic misery with these moldy windows because I am a wuss.

9 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Oh, you are not a wuss. How do you know that the mold on the windows is causing your allergies? I think it is the old carpet and everything else in the apartment. We do need new windows, though, that would be nice, and new screens. Also, the wind is blowing today and it is really dry outside, I think that may be causing your little nose to run (away). Our apartment needs an overhaul, yes. We should both talk to Mary about that stuff.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

little nose?

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm her real friend kelly. Not some NY foney-macaroni.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Huh?

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't huh me, JVR. I took the hibachi from your apt and know how much you like Malibu Chicken. I own you.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Hehehehehe, I truly like that.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go tape a drum head.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I'm over drumheads, they are better for pounding upon, not taping, but I'll sell you one for $1,000, whaddya think?

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would but you'd just waste it at Sizzler.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home