Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Frugal, not Gourmet

Could you make dinner from the following leftovers?
-about 1 cup unused parsnip, potato, and carrot ravioli filling
-10 ounces meatloaf
-4 ounces mushroom stems

Plus you have the services of the following non-leftovers:
-1/8 bag frozen green peas
-three carrots
-one onion
-one bottle Trader Joe's Winterfest Double Bock Dark Lager (a very fine beer, considering the $4.99/six pack price)
-milk
-all-purpose flour
-unsalted butter
-fresh sage & parsley
-Dubliner cheddar

...well, I did. I minced the onion and mushroom stems and cooked them until soft, then added some butter and flour. I opened the beer and poured in maybe 4 ounces (the rest went into me) and stirred in some milk and water. This became the gravy. To this I added minced meatloaf, diced carrots, frozen peas, and minced sage and parsley. I dumped this mixture into a gratin dish; the ravioli filling, which was pureed and starchy, became the topping. There. Instant shepard's pie. I grated a little cheddar cheese on top of the potato/parsnip puree to gild the lily, so to speak. Who knows, this might turn out tasting like crap--but I just took it out of the oven, and it smelled great. It has yet to pass the most stringent of tests, the Husband Test. Joe will reject or embrace odd, thrown-together dishes with no predictability whatsoever. Will this very thrifty casserole strike his fancy? Time to eat now; I'll report tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

It was delicious! And I should be so greatful to have a wonderful wife making these tasty dishes. I am not that picky; I will eat most things, except for eggplant and big, fat, round noodles that look like worms--I can't stomach that.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home