Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Greetings from EST

The quality of Marietta's thrift stores has gone down. I used to be able to find all kinds of great stuff, but now it's mostly stretched-out cotton knit shirts and lame jeans in too-big sizes. I did score two nice straight-leg jeans from the Salvation Army for .99 a pair. Someone at the Salvation Army store walked by me while I was standing in line and said "Excuse me, sir." Um, no, I'm a girl. Are the matching silver hoop earrings and lipstick not a dead giveaway?

I also went ot the public library to write for a bit on my laptop. It's a Carnegie library, built in 1916 and remodeled in 1992 or '93. I used to work there at the circulation desk. I liked it. I was nervous about seeing former co-workers, because I'd be afraid they would not know what to say to me, or vice versa. Luckily there's a staircasedirectly from the breezeway to the mezzanine. From the mezzanine I could see these two older ladies who I worked with back in the day, plus I could hear them mention a girl who likewise worked there at the time. So all three are still there. A library is a good place to work, but a small library like that is a tough place to move ahead. I'd love to have a workaday library job at this point, though, so I should keep my mouth shut.

Walking around downtown, everything seemed very real to me. But I felt like a spy. I felt like a spy in my own hometown. I usually do when I come to visit.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Remember those local hicks yelling at us when I was there last time? "Drink some beer, gain some weight!" Or some such nonsense. Anwyay, I'm glad you are having fun in the Marietta land. I too feel like I'm spying on my hometown when I visit. Like I don't belong there at all anymore, yet there are so many things that seem familiar to me. I'll be in Southern California soon, but not anywhere near Landscatter, so I guess I won't feel like I'm spying--just intruding.

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home