Wednesday, February 22, 2006

McHappy's

I couldn't help myself and watched "Bubble" again last night, this time with the actors' audio commentary. And I was right--it is McHappy's Donut Shoppe! I used to go to the McHappy's in Marietta with a few of my guy friends once we were old enough to drive. McHappy's was open late. That's what a crazy night was for us: instead of partying, we drove around and jumped on people's trampolines and ate fattening food and smoked a few cigarettes. Well, maybe those guys partied, too, but never with me. That was fine. I was happy to eat donuts late at night.

Rob Pollard did the music for the moive. Debbie Whatsername, the movie's heavy-set lead actress who was discovered working as a manager at the KFC in Parkersburg, mentioned in the commentary how she met Rob Pollard and he was so nice and he did a great job with the music. Rob Pollard is from Dayton, and I'm happy they got an Ohioan to do the music. In the DVD extras you can tell what a kind, good, positive person Debbie is. She meets the lead singer of Guided by Voices and makes a point of saying how wonderful he is. There may be a bunch of simpleton hicks where I grew up, but there are a lot of folks like her, too. I miss them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

I wonder if she still eats at KFC? That addictive chicken is pretty hard to give up after working near if for as long as she did, I suppose.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Wha happened to the blog updates?

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home