Monday, February 13, 2006

The Wilting Plant

Novella Carpenter wrote in her "Rev" column a few weeks ago that a blog is like a houseplant; it needs to be tended to regularly, lest it begn to take on an unsightly cloak of neglect. So let's say that this blog is a houseplant. It's kind of brown and ugly at the moment. I've been busy doing...stuff. It's been very sunny. What can I say. Life needs to be lived somewhere besides the chair in front of a laptop. To be honest, the less I write in this thing, the better you can assume my life is going.

Life is okay at the moment. Money, as usual, is a problem. Recently I gave myself a haircut and bought a new pair of runnign shoes. My hair was getting bushy, and my feet were starting to hurt when I went on longer runs. I can do an okay job cutting my own hair, but I can't make my own shoes. So I took advantage of the 50% discount I get at the silly store where I work and purchased a new pair for $46. I'd have spent about the same amount getting my hair cut at the salon I can't afford to go to anymore.

I gave myself the same haircut I've been giving myself for about 10 years. I tried out several new looks during my last few years of dallying in the salons, with varying success. My new haircut is not awful, but it is a bit severe. Short. It'll have a month to soften a bit before I fly off to the food writing conference I'll go to in March. why I needed to cut it now. I gotta look professional.

My mom sent me a check as an early birthday present so I could buy a new outfit or two for said conference. I could use some spiffy clothes for this thing, too--the thrifty hipster look won't cut it, at least not for five days straight. But I'm using the money to pay for the new running shoes, plus maybe something else...living? I'm screwed until the next payday, which is fortunately this Friday. I hate money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home