Thursday, August 04, 2005

Chocolate Cinema

Damn, I'm getting restless. I want this wedding to happen already so I can get on with the rest of my life. Last night when Joe was at practice I saw "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" at the movie theatre. It was fine, pretty much as I exprected it to be. Tim Burton kind of bugs me with his Gothic style-over-substance hangups, but come on--the movie is not about substance.

As a former chocolate factory employee, I had an ex-professional interest in the movie. People have some weird ideas about chocolate. This actually supplies a bit of resentment towards Dahl's creation: multiple times daily, folks in the store or on the chocolate factory tour would mention Oompa-Loompas and fancy themselves all clever and cute. Come on, folks--it's a movie, fiction! The only similarity turns out that a real-life chocolate factory can be just as messed up as a fictional one, only in much less visually scintillating ways. I speak from experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home