Friday, April 15, 2005

White Rabbit Steals Crown

We ate out last night at a Chinese restaurant. I had dry-sauteed asparagus (don't know why they call it dry, as it's coated in oil but very tasty) and Joe had Kung Pao chicken (too much Kung Pao, not enough chicken). A regular low-key dinner out for Chinese food, nothing more.

The waiter brought the check once out platters were cleared. Instead of the usual fortune cookies, they brought out White Rabbit candies. These are similar to vanilla Tootsie Rolls, only a bit more taffy-like. I think they contain milk--they are snow-white and very sweet. "Oh!" said Joe (I'm tired of calling hm Mr. Bir Toujour). "I love White Rabbit!" He unwrapped the candy and popped it in his mouth, chomping down as if it were cud. "Ah!" he gurgled with a mouth full of stale candy. "These are old!"

I poked the remaining White Rabbit; it refuesed to yield under its blue, white, and red wrapper. "No way I'm eating that," I said.

Joe kept at it, his jaw set and his eyes determined. There was a flash, felt but unseen, and then a tiny popping-crack. "By toofh!" Joe cried. A second later he pulled the White Rabbit--slimy but basically intact--from his mouth, and a tooth was stuck in it.

It wasn't his tooth, only the crown from a root canal a few years ago. Joe freaked. He's having it cemented back today. That stinks for him, but I say that's what you get fr biting down on a two-year-old White Rabbit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

My tooth, now secure in my mouth. Never again will I eat weird, old, stale, sticky candy. Fresh White Rabbit candy might be okay, though. I like danger.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Yes, I will be careful in the future, I don't like too much danger -- just a little to know that I'm alive.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home